Tuesday 3 February 2009

Colin Montgomerie the Golf Course Designer and Ryder Cup Captain

I do feel a little scared about even a slight mocking tone when talking about Colin Montgomerie. Its a tone I cant help really on this subject and it is the tone which encouraged me to start the blog-I had been ranting about the likes of Lilly Allens dress colection for Top Shop and Kate Moss purfume collection! I thought I could accept Paul Newmans salad cream, and even Lloyd Grossmans pasta sauce; Pauls Ranch dressing royalties were for Charity and I had seen Lloyd cook a bit, or at least taste food before. But Golf Pros somehow having the skills of an architecht or builder while on the golf circuit seemed to me to be taking it too far. For goodness sake let the true designer or designers take the credit, Dont you get enough publicity and cash as it is?

As Colin Montgomerie has been given the captaincy for the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor in 2010, I thought I'd have a closer look at his Golf Course Design claims and record and try to take the view that the experience of playing golf on course all over the world could provide some insight into what makes a good course (in their opinion)Also, perhaps the designers do not want the credit for their work, and then that perhaps with a pile of clay, paint and accessories the golf pro could 'design' a golf course which could then be interpretted by the architect.

From his website it would seem that colins philosophy is to challenge the golfer of any level. Water features should potentially cost the points, and not just make the course attractive for the TV cameras, rough should be rough and bunkers should be hazardous.'Nature should not be tampered with unnecessarily'Well that fits in with my gripe about Spanich Hacienda Dubai course design.

The design team are introduced on the website which is honest and good. Designs include the Montgomerie at Celtic Manor, Wales and a Montgomerie Links In Vietnam. And just because he is the man to bring back the Ryder Cup I am going to congratualte him on his wonderful designs.

No comments: