Tuesday 10 February 2009

Play Golf in the Shadow of the Taj Mahal

My recent early morning games at Fajara Golf Club in the Gambia brought back memories of my very first golf lesson at Agra Golf Course in India in 1989. It is only in such environs that I have been able to afford the luxury of a first class instructor and a couple of ball boys.

I know he was a first class instructor because he had me hitting unbelievable shots which much annoyed my companion, a bloke. I had that first feeling of contorting my hips and a strange grip and the follow through, and felt like I was Tony Jacklin.(I say Tony Jacklin because he was the main Englishman for golf when I was growing up; Kevin Keegan for football; Ray Rearden for snooker etc )
The ball boys were of course necessary because it didnt always work,balls were expensive and the rough was rough, and then some. My top tip if visiting Golf clubs in commonwealth countries is dont forget to take a tie-if you want a slimline tonic in the clubhouse after (if you're a bloke)

As non members we were able to play in the morning, but in that heat when else would you consider a game? The fairways were yellow, and sacred cows were eating the rough, but the design classic I want to really get over in this post is that The Agra Golf Course stands in the shadow of the Taj Mahal.

Looking at its website the club has come up in the world following a lull around 1989,with irrigation bringing the greens up to USPGA standard and lots of other amenities for the family; swimming pool (I'm David Wilkie), snooker (Ray Rearden again) and air conditioned restaurant and bar!I suppose it was 20 years ago. That is why I do not have any digital photos to upload of me, a golf ball and the Taj Mahal. You get the side view of the main dome from some of the greens.Ive included the full frontal Taj fro about the right distance just in case you dont know what you are missing.

No comments: